Monday, March 2, 2015

Feb 23 2015 God's Love

Hello Family and Friends
I hope this week has gone well for everyone! Remi decided to disappear this last week, but we got back in contact with him and we will be meeting with him tonight. Hopefully we can resolve more of his concerns. He is almost finished with the Book of Mormon so that is pretty cool! He enjoys it, but there is always something he tends to disagree with. Sometimes we are able to fix it though. 
Friday was pretty crazy. On Fridays we go out with a member, Susan Claeys, and she drives us around Burlington to go see less actives and investigators. She is such a great fellow shipper for everyone. Her smile is seriously brighter than the sun! I told her she and my mom would be great friends because they have similar interests and they both are super super positive all the time!
In Burlington we visit a lady named Stephanie. She was a member, but she got her name removed when she was a teenager. Now after many years of drugs and alcohol she has a desire to change her life around and come back to church. She loves when we all come over and we will often talk about the Atonement with her. I always try my best to bear my testimony about the Atonement and help her know that it is so real! I don't bring tears to her eyes, but I know she hears what I am saying. She went through a lot this past week and we were able to be there for her just at the perfect time. Stephanie has been having a lot of issues with her 13 year old daughter, Lexie, and it has been a huge strain on her. Lexie has been hanging out with the wrong crowd and ended up running away last Monday or Tuesday. They were able to find her within 2 hours, but she had gotten into a lot of things a 13 year old should not get into. When we got there on Friday we talked to Stephanie and had heard the whole story. She said Lexie was up in her room and wouldn't talk to her. We offered to go up stairs and try and talk to her. I was a little hesitant because I didn't know what I would say, but then I thought "Duh! you were 13 once!"
We went upstairs and found Lexie watching TV in her bed. She paused her show and we started telling her that she is loved so much and that her mom is only trying to protect her...As I was standing there I realized all this talk sounded quite familiar. I had heard it all as a teenager growing up. Lexie just stared at us blankly like a 13 year old does. I was worried that nothing was getting through to her and that she just letting it brush off her shoulder. I still hadn't said anything yet, but I knew I needed to. I had felt the things she was feeling. I had wanted to runaway at her age. I could almost completely feel what she was feeling. On top of that, I could feel the strong love slipping into my heart that Heavenly Father has for her. It seriously hit me like a ton of bricks and I couldn't hold my tears in. Things started to get quiet and Sister Wood and Susan were about to start leaving, but then I stopped them. I told Lexie that I knew what she was feeling. I couldn't completely relate, but I had gone through those rebellious stages as well. I told her that she can't hold things in. She needed to talk things out and that her mom was there to listen. I wasn't sure if any of this was getting to her but I figured it was worth a shot. That love that Heavenly Father had for her just wasn't leaving so I needed to let her know. When I ended we all gave her a big hug and told her she is loved. I might never find out if any of that did anything, but I know that Heavenly Father loves that family so much as does he love all of his children. Stephanie ended up surprising us by coming to church this last week! She hasn't been for a really long time and it was so good to see her there. She got a priesthood blessing from the bishop and we hope she will she that she is blessed. I love you all and hope you have a wonderful week. 
Love Sister Emily Sarah Eaton

No comments:

Post a Comment